Bird in Hand - arts and culture
13 December, 2019 - Mariette Morris
A snapshot of Bird in Hand's extensive Arts and Culture Program
Bird in Hand is a family owned winery located in the heart of the stunning Adelaide Hills just outside Woodside. The winery is well known by South Australian wine lovers for their fabulous selection of cool climate wines. In addition to their talent and passion for producing fine wine, Bird in Hand also has a track record of contributing to the local and international cultural arts scene.
Bird in Hand recently won the Best of Wine Tourism Award for the winery with the Best Art and Culture. The award celebrates wineries that have a commitment to culture and visual or performing arts as part of their visitor experience. Bird in Hand has demonstrated their commitment to art and culture for many years, through an extensive cultural sponsorship program, their collection of artworks and music events.
Earlier in the year, Bird in Hand announced their Master Plan to upgrade the existing property at Woodside. The revamp will be a next level, all-encompassing wine, art and culture experience featuring:
- a 40-seat food and wine experience
- an art gallery
- increased cellar door space with elevated views of the surrounding vineyards and rolling hills
- underground cellars beneath the existing Barrel Hall
- private Tasting rooms and landscaped gardens
- a roof top terrace bar.
Bird in Hand plan to create an architecturally beautiful site with an extensive sculpture park showcasing Bird in Hands private collection.
Although, they already have a number of visually stunning and thought provoking pieces at the winery that can be admired while sipping on a glass of Bird in Hand wine. Some of their most striking pieces include:
- The 'White Ape Part 2' by Lisa Roet, a 3-meter sculpture of a white fiberglass chimpanzee bust sitting on the lawns.
- 'The Ladies Supper' by James Cochrane, a contemporary interpretation of Da Vinci's painting of the Last Supper. Cochrane's painting depicts some of the key women at Bird in Hand enjoying dinner together and is a celebration of women. It hangs on the wall of the Barrel Hall creating an ethereal atmosphere.
- The Mural by Lucas Grogan, a masterpiece that took the artist four days to complete, consists of intricate geometric line work in many shades of blue.
The restaurant also serves as an art gallery with curated pieces on loan from the privately owned Hugo Michell artspace, which showcases the work of both emerging and established artists. The exhibition in the restaurant is refreshed multiple times throughout the year ensuring new and interesting art pieces are always on display.
Not only does Bird in Hand's current private collection demonstrate a passion for art and culture, so too does their sponsorship of cultural programs and events, some of which include:
- The Bird in Hand Nest Residency, an inaugural professional development program based in Los Angeles. The residency is for an eight-week period and allows this year's recipient, Lucy Campbell, to receive tailored mentoring, industry networking opportunities and access to the Australians in Film industry program. The program is also supported by The South Australian Film Corporation and Australians in Film.
- Bird in Hand was the Official Sparkling Wine Partner at G'day USA 2019. G'day USA is Australia's premier public, economic and cultural diplomacy program in the United States.
- Bird in Hand was the Official wine sponsor for the 2018 British Fashion Awards, held at Royal Albert Hall in London.
- On the sporting field, Bird in Hand is a proud sponsor of the Adelaide Crows and Polo in the City.
Another very important element of the Bird in Hand art and culture formula is their commitment to live music. Missy Higgins, Gang of Youths and the John Butler Trio are just a few of the talented musicians that have played on the Bird in Hand Lawns over the years. This year the concert will be held on the 14 December with Liam Gallagher hitting the Bird in Hand stage to perform his rock anthems.